Monday, October 24, 2011

My son says any day is a good day for pumpkin pie!

My son loves pumpkin pie....me not so much! With that being said, I do enjoy making pumpkin pie for him and for grandpa!  They love pumpkin pie and I want to make it yummy enough for me to eat, maybe a little hidden healthy too.

Here are two ways to enjoy some pumpkin:
Pumpkin Pie
I first started using this recipe from the Mori Nu website.
The only time I vary it is when I buy the Organic Canned Pumpkin Pie Mix instead of plain Organic Canned Pumpkin because I enjoy being lazy it has all the spices mixed!
Ingredients
1-1/2 packages Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu*
2 cups Organic canned or cooked pumpkin
2/3 cup honey (use agave nectar for vegan option)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice or next 4 ingredients
1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 unbaked 9" pastry crust
 (you can make your own but I am lazy...haha)

Drain tofu and blend in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; blend well. Pour into unbaked pie crust. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for about 1 hour. Filling will be soft, but will firm as it chills. Chill and serve. You can use the extra firm instead, I have done both.


I top my pies with non-dairy whip cream since my son and I have some digestion issues with dairy.  I have made my own with not that much success but have enjoyed SoyaToo Whip Cream.

Pumpkin Cheesecake
I do happen to enjoy this pie because the pumpkin is not so over-powering.  I cannot remember where I first saw this delicious recipe.


12 ounces firm silken tofu, pressed and drained
8 ounces Tofutti Cream Cheese (my preference you can use any cream cheese of your choice)
1 (14 ounce) organic canned pumpkin
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 prepared graham cracker crust (again I prefer being lazy you can make your own crust if you're Martha)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Puree all ingredients (except of course the crust silly) in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Pour into pie crust and bake for 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 to 6 hours before serving.



Bonus pumpkin recipe
pumpkin chocolate chip cookie
Grandpa found my son these cookies in a store and we both are addicted.  So I tried to make some, enjoy!

1 Can of Pumpkin (1.75 cups)
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
0.5 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Applesauce
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
0.5 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups vegan chocolate chips (you of course don't have to go vegan but why the heck not, just try it)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine pumpkin, sugar, vanilla, oil, and applesauce. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and add to pumpkin mixture gradually. Mix well. Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until light brown and firm.

Try these yummy holiday or any day recipe with a ginger latter, pumpkin spice latte, or hot apple cider.
For some drink ideas try this site or on this site!

Enjoy!
~Deanne







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...