Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It's all a haze...

What a weekend... I think we are still recovering in my house!!! Busy Busy Busy..  I thought four day weekend meant lazy days, sleeping in and crazy good food.  Instead the weekend consisted of catching up on cleaning, movies, tons and tons of homework (for me not my son) and the best hike ever!  Until....


We are an outdoors family.  We would rather go hiking than anything else. 

There are my 3 best hiking buddies ever!!!  We went to a great state park that has a ton of super easy trails, short trails, long trails and some more difficult trails.  It was a great weekend to go because the weather was amazing!  Little did we know we would hit some trails that were not passable, they had been blocked off for construction.  Unfortunately we were not told this by the forestry volunteer...oiy.  Thankfully, we love to hike so it was okay that we would have to turn around and find another trail.  We were about 3.4 miles into the first hike when we ran into our first barricade to turn around for construction.  Oh well we said...we stopped at one of the trail head sites where there was bathrooms and water.  We filled up our 2 gallon jug (which I was carrying in my backpack), made sure the dogs had plenty of water (yes I brought portable bowls for them to drink out of) then off to another trail. 

We were again happily off on another trail when dang it...turn around again.  By this time our 2 hour hike was now 4 hours and we were into about 6 miles thanks to all the turn-arounds.  But we are troopers, especially my son, we love to hike and we were feeling good plus the dogs seemed okay.  Then it happened my dog Cocoa (the darker one above) split open a paw on something and our fun, crazy and fast pace turned into a snails pace.  The day became longer due the need to stop longer periods of time for my dog.  We stopped several times to fill up our water and make sure we were not over heating or getting dehydrated.  My poor dog, I felt so bad for her yet honestly I was upset too because it was getting hotter and I knew that if I did not get us off that trail we would be in a bit of trouble.  If I could carry 70 lbs...I would have carried her.  Oiy....what was suppose to be a 2 hour maybe 3 hour hike turned into 5.5 hours and just about 10 miles thanks to all the turn-arounds.  Even the best laid plans go off course now and then, that is what makes the memories.


Any who, we did enjoy the day.  We were absolutely exhausted when we got home.  We fell asleep on the floor in our hiking clothes, then a few hours later we showered and went to bed.  Cocoa's paws are nearly healed but I carry outside to go to the bathroom since she cannot walk on them. 


But hey we got a great picture to remember it...














How was your weekend?  Any plans go off course?
~Deanne







  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...