Monday, April 23, 2012

yummy bread and muffins

Waste not want not....an old proverb meaning if we waste less we will want less.  Sounds good to me! Less I have to buy (hahahaha).

Any who, me and my son have been juicing on and off for a few months.  So we have been saving the pulp from the fruit and the vegetables we have juiced instead of composting the pulp.  Why you ask?  Let me tell you!  The pulp would be a great addition to the compost but I thought how great it would be inside recipes.   When we juice we would make sure to save the fruit pulp separate from the vegetable pulp because certain recipes would not taste that well with the mixture if they were combined.  I use the fruit pulp in baking recipes and the vegetable recipes in some bread recipes but mostly in savory recipes like soups.  I have been freezing the pulp in quart size bags because I ran out of my freezer safe mason jars.  They will keep in the freezer for several months to use in recipes later.

This weekend for Earth Day we decided to use some of that fruit pulp for bread and muffins, since our budget was a little binding we did not make it to some Earth Day events. 


*This recipe is vegan, if you prefer a traditional recipe I put substitutions below the directions.



muffin or bread recipe

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp cinnamon (optional if using veggie pulp)
  • 2 tsp nutmeg (optional if using veggie pulp)
  • 2 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 cups pulp of fruit or veggie

this recipe makes one loaf of bread or 24 regular size muffins

bake at 350 degrees 25 to 45 minutes or until knife pulls clean from center.  If making muffins it will cook faster so check center earlier whereas bread takes a bit longer hence the range in cooking time.

do not over mix ingredients

mix the cornstarch in a separate bowl with the water to ensure the cornstarch has no lumps and is well mixed then put in with wet ingredients.

I mixed the dry ingredients in a bowl first while my food processor/blender mixed all the wet ingredients.  I use the blender because I really wanted the pulp to be mashed and blended. 

Substitutions: if you are into non-vegan stuff that is...

  • 2 eggs in place of the cornstarch
  • honey instead of agave nectar
  • dairy instead of soy milk or almond milk

 oops there was once 24....hmmm















I use parchment paper to line the pan to make it easier to remove the bread.









This is the pulp I used from my juicing.  Defrost, put in blender/food processor to break it down and mash it up. Oh so good....


Next bread and/or muffins, something savory with pulp from the veggies I used from juicing.  I have a mixture of celery, kale, licorice root, broccoli, spinach....hmmm what to make?


What suggestions do you have for a recipe with veggie pulp?  Send me some ideas I would love to try them.

~Deanne






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...