Saturday, March 10, 2012

Thneeds...is it a need or a want??



My son and I went to see The Lorax last weekend, being a Lorax enthusiast I was excited.  They did a wonderful job bringing the book to life however I would have loved to see more Lorax, Dr. Seuss limericks and message.

It missed the mark that consumerism, our quest for more stuff "thneeds", equals the destruction of the eco-system that we humans take part.  There were glimmers of the original Lorax book telling the tale of missing trees and bad air but not enough.  Of course I am not saying it had to be hard hitting, beat us over the head message but it should have been more.  Kids can absorb the message and the parents forced to watch it because they brought their kids need to get the message. 

I for one love the reference to "Too Big Too Fail"...made me giggle, unfortunately no other parent in the audience that day seemed to grasp it!!!  My son, however cried when the animals lost their home, he got angry at the movie goers for leaving loads of trash behind and he asked me on the way to our car, "is that why you ask me do I need it or want it when I ask to get something at the store?"  So for my son, he got the message loud and clear.

All in all, I love The Lorax!  It was that wonderful Dr. Seuss book turned black and white cartoon who inspired me to love the planet because if you take care of the earth it will take care of you.  Dr. Seuss was ahead of his time, ahead of any green movement and maybe even the starter of it all!

Thank you Dr. Seuss!


~Deanne


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...