Monday, November 14, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes!

Scalloped Potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods but....dairy is not my friend.  Let us just say that it makes my tummy not too happy when I consume dairy.  I can tolerate it....

I have tried to make a dairy free alternative many times before without much success. I think I have finally found one that tastes pretty darn good. Sorry the pictures are not the best...
Recipe: all my ingredients are organic and vegan
  • 4 to 6 potatoes, depending on size & amount you want to cook
  • 1 to 2 cups as needed unsweetened: soy, almond milk, or rice milk
  • 1 package each of tofutti sour supreme and tofutti cream cheese
  • vegan cheeses I used 2 packages each of cheddar and mozzarella (super duper cheesy)
  • 1 cube vegan butter
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
  • unbleached flour 1 to 2 tablespoons
  • salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste
*bake 350 for 1 hour covered and additional 30 minutes uncovered
    
    This has all the potatoes are peeled sliced and have vegan cheese ready for sauce mixture. You could pre-cook the potatoes to speed the baking process. Reserve some cheese for the very end.

    In this pot I started with one cube of butter, diced onions (cooking until translucent) then added garlic, milk, flour to thicken and spices. It is darker than most rues because I do not use unbleached flour so it is darker than white bleached flour.

    Now the sauce mixture has been added to pan of potatoes and cheese, and mixed.

    Added a hand full of cheese on top, cover with foil bake for at least one hour before removing.

    The finished product. I used more cheese than normal only because I was craving some extra cheesy ooey gooey hot mess!
    ~Deanne
    PS I made quite a lot....so I did freeze serving size portions for later.....yummy!  It takes really good fried in a pan the next morning with eggs and hot sauce!!!!!

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...