Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 18, Peak vs Non-Peak


Although this is a wonderful view of some peaks.  However, the peak I am speaking of happens to be peak rates vs non-peak rates through your utility company.

My particular utility company has higher rates during Peak time vs Non-Peak time.  From 9 am to 9 pm my wonderful utility company has far higher rates than between 9 pm to 9 am.  With this knowledge I only run my dishwasher, washer and dryer after 9 pm and done by 9 am, for whatever reason Saturday and Sunday are Non-Peak times as well.  These particular appliances pull heavy energy loads no matter how energy efficient they are made.  This saves me a bundle, it may seem inconvenient but thankfully I can program the washer and dishwasher to run after 9pm.  I do not have to wait up late to run them, making sure to wake up in the morning to put clothes in the dryer.

I have mentioned before that I also run cooler or warmer temps (depending on the season) after 9 pm as well returning to an energy efficient temp after 9 am.  You may have to find out just how much heat you can stand or cool temps you can stand to keep you A/C or Furnace from running a lot during the peak time.  I say summer months run an overhead fan it will save 15 to 20% on your bill and keep the temp close to 80 degrees.  In cooler months, put on a sweater, throw on a blanket but keep the temp 68 to 70 degrees.
This too saves me a bundle.  

Call your electric company find out if the have Peak vs Non-Peak rates you may save yourself some $$$$!

Now if I can just get that solar and wind turbine installed at my house!





 

I want solar, and love this artistic wind turbine!

Deanne

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...